Modern video games have nothing in common with Pong and other games from the time when computers were hooked up to a TV. Today as a gamer, you need a large gaming monitor that displays all games in the highest possible quality to enjoy the virtual gaming worlds.
Overview Popular Large Gaming Monitors
A large monitor for gaming will make your gaming experience a true pleasure. Let’s look at the 5 best value-for-money gaming monitors and briefly discuss their technologies.
Asus ROG Swift PG279Q, the best large monitor for gaming?
The Asus Republic Of Gamers is a well-known brand in the gaming world and the company is known for its awesome products. The Asus ROG Swift PG279Q is no exception, it is one of the best gaming monitors available right now.
The Panel size is 27-inch which is currently considered a standard for high-end gaming. It comes with QHD resolution with a refresh rate of 144Hz which can be overclocked to 165Hz. It also offers many more pixels than FHD panels which means it will offer a good crisp image with a 144Hz refresh rate. Asus ROG Swift PG279Q features IPS Panel which means you will be getting good viewing angles and color accurate image. The monitor supports Nvidia’s G-Sync technology which is best if you use the Nvidia GPU. Asus ROG Swift PG279Q also offers good connectivity options, you get one Display port 1.2a and one HDMI port.
- 27-inch Screen Size.
- IPS Panel with QHD Display
- 4ms Response time
- 144Hz Display rate (up to 165Hz)
Why should you buy Asus ROG Swift PG279Q?
Asus ROG Swift PG279Q is for the people who want the best in the market. This monitor comes with top-notch features but it is also not cheap, but well worth the dollars. If you are an Nvidia GPU user and want the best possible gaming monitor then Asus ROG Swift PG279Q is for you.
Asus MG279Q is the best gaming monitor for people who use an AMD GPU. Asus MG279Q comes with QHD IPS Panel which offers much better viewing angles and gray-scale performance. As far as the inputs are concerned, Asus MG279Q got you covered, it comes with 4 digital video inputs and a handful of USB 3.0 ports.
Solidly build, the base is sturdy enough to support the monitor and it also allows the functions like tilting, pivoting, and adjustments. The Panel size is 27-inch which is standard for gaming monitors these days. It comes with an Anti-gloss coating which is normally an issue as it can cause the colors to fade out but in Asus MG279Q the colors were accurate.
The FreeSync technology of the Asus MG279Q performed exceptionally well and shines with gaming performance.
Specifications of this gaming monitor from Asus
- 27-inch Screen Size.
- IPS Panel with QHD Display
- 4ms Response time
- 144Hz Display rate.
Why should you buy the Asus MG279Q?
Asus MG279Q is the best FreeSync-supported gaming monitor available right now. If you are an AMD user, then Asus MG279Q is a clear choice for you.
Acer Predator Z35 Gaming Monitor
Ultrawide gaming monitors are the real deal these days and many gamers prefer ultrawide displays because it allows them to have an immersive gaming experience. Acer Predator Z35 is a top choice for an ultrawide gaming monitor if you want to buy one. You can also go for Acer XR382CQK ultrawide monitor but it will cost you around a grand. Lots of money considering you can get the Acer Predator Z35 for about two/thirds that for about the same performance.
Acer Predator Z35 comes with a huge, curved screen that also supports Nvidia’s G-Sync technology. The screen resolution is 2560 x 1080b which is good enough and it can go up to 200Hz refresh rate via Display port connection. Optional, if you want a QHD display then you will have to pay an extra $200. But unless it is necessary for you to have the QHD, this FHD is good enough for most of the games. There is also a lot of input options available, it comes with 5 USB-A ports, Display Port, Plus an HDMI port. The only downside in the I/O section was the exclusion of Thunderbolt 3.0 port exclusion which is available in most gaming monitors these days. The Acer Predator Z35 max brightness a good 396.4 lux which is one of the best.
- 35-inch vertical alignment panel.
- FHD/QHD Display
- 3.59ms Response time
- 144Hz Display rate. (up to 200Hz)
Why should you buy the Acer Predator Z35?
Acer Predator Z35 is an excellent option for those people who want an ultrawide gaming monitor with G-Sync support.
Acer Predator XB321HK
4K Gaming is the future of gaming and there are many 4k games available but there are few issues. The first and major issue is that 4k gaming monitors fail to produce a 120+ Hz refresh rate which means that your gaming experience will not be extraordinary and you will have to be content with the 60fps.
Another major problem is that playing 4k games is a premium endeavor and even the GeForce GTX 1080 Ti fails to consistently produce the required fps for the several 4k games. However, 4k games are awesome to play and if you have a good high-end gaming pc then you can play 4K games on a good screen like Acer Predator XB321HK. Acer Predator XB321HK is one of the best 4K gaming monitors in the market right now and it offers an amazing gaming performance.
- 32-inch IPS Nvidia G-Sync supported Panel.
- 4K Display
- 4ms Response time
- 60Hz Using DisplayPort & 24Hz using HDMI Port
Why should you buy the Acer Predator XB321HK?
Acer Predator XB321HK is for those people who want the premium 4k gaming monitor. It is not for those people who want the 120Hz or higher refresh rates. In our opinion, unless you are a fan of 4k gaming, you should choose a QHD gaminus VG248QE.
Finding a really good cheap gaming monitor is not an easy task as there are so many cheap gaming monitors around but not all perform as one would expect. Out of gaming monitors like LG 24GM77, AOC G2460PF, Viewsonic XG2401, and Asus VG248QE we selected the Asus VG248QE as it offers much better value, performance, and features than the rest of the contenders.
Asus VG248QE comes with 24-inch FHD TN Panel with a refresh rate of 144Hz. Asus VG248QE doesn’t offer functionality like the other gaming monitors in this guide but it offers good features and performance for a very affordable price.
While gaming, the Asus VG248QE performed exceptionally well compared to other cheap gaming monitors in this price range. We played FPS and MOBA games on this monitor and we were getting good performance in almost all games. The only thing we felt which were missing in this monitor was an IPS Panel. Asus VG248QE features the TN Panel which offers decent image quality but still, the viewing angles are not great.
Specifications of this 144 HZ Gaming Monitor
- 24-inch TN Panel
- 1920 x 1080p Display
- 1ms Response time
- 144Hz Refresh Rate
Why should you buy the Asus VG248QE?
Asus VG248QE is for those people who want a budget gaming monitor with best 1080p gaming performance. If you are looking for a high-end gaming monitor then Asus VG248QE isn’t for you.
So, which is the best large monitor for gaming?
In the end, we picked the Asus ROG Swift PG279Q as the best value for money monitor. This gaming monitor is a beast with top-of-the-line gaming performance. It is a little expensive but as it will last for a couple of years it is a good investment. If you don’t want to spend that much and you can do with more basic features the Asus VG248QE is a good cheap gaming monitor to consider.
These are some popular screens that are good for gaming.
You can find these and other good gaming screens on Amazon.
Features – gaming monitors
As we have just said, gaming monitors have come a long way since their inception. From low-resolution displays to modern FHD & 4K screen, from 60Hz refresh rate to the awesome 144Hz or higher refresh rates…
There are so many good monitors to choose from, that picking the right one is not always easy. Below is a brief overview of the important features of gaming monitors.
For more detailed information this post may be a good read to Gaming Monitor Features
- Large gaming monitors come in several different sizes and each gamer has its own preference. If screen size isn’t an issue for you then you can go with the standard 24-inch gaming monitor which most probably will be cheaper than the gaming monitors with a large size panel.
- Resolution is the most important thing when it comes to gaming monitors. There is Full High Definition (FHD), Quad High Definition (QHD), Wide Quad High Definition (WQHD), and 4K Panels available in the market. If you want the best possible experience without spending a lot of money then you can go with FHD or QHD Panels with a 27-inch gaming monitor.
- Panel technology is also an important factor. There are different types of panel technologies, but if you want the best viewing angles then In-Plane Switching (IPS) panels are the best as they provide much better color accuracy and best overall performance. You can also go with Twisted Nematic (TN) Panels as they are cheaper than IPS Panels and TN panels are normally available in affordable gaming monitors.
- Curved or Flat: A curved screen ensures better perception at the edge of the field of view of the eyes. Different game genres benefit to different degrees from the curvature. In first-person shooters and racing games, a movement in the corner of the eye can definitely bring an advantage, in role and strategy games this aspect is of secondary importance. The curved design also requires an advanced resolution, which also affects the performance of the graphics card.
- A gaming monitor isn’t a gaming monitor without a high Refresh Rate. Normal LCD monitors come with a 60Hz refresh rate but gaming monitors have a 120Hz or higher refresh rate which will help reducing image blur, eliminate tearing, etc.
- G-Sync and FreeSync are the two synchronization technologies that are developed by Nvidia and AMD respectively. These technologies allow the GPU to control the screen’s refresh rate instead of the CPU. This greatly can improve the graphics which lets you enjoy a much more realistic gaming experience.