Video gaming as entertainment is ever-growing in popularity, people spend hours playing their favorite games. However, many gamers ask what is the ideal Frame Rate (FPS) of a gaming monitor. The answer to this question varies a bit from person to person and what kind of games you are into. So let’s have a look at those factors in detail.
What is the FPS?
FPS stands for Frames per second, basically, it is to measure how many frames (images) your monitor will display in one second. For example, if your monitor is running 12 frames per second then it means your monitor is running 12 images in one second which displays to you as a video.
FPS is important in gaming because if your monitor is showing more frames in second it will overall improve your gaming experience.
What is the FPS Brackets?
The images the human eye sees are processed by the brain. If more than about 14 to 16 frames per second are seen, then the human brain perceives those successive images as a moving scene. The Frames per second (FPS) are grouped into FPS brackets, the higher the more smooth the moving image appears. The following are the common FPS brackets.
- 30 FPS is the common FPS Bracket which you will find on consoles and normal PCs. 30 FPS is considered as the basic standard for gaming and if your monitor displays the 30 FPS then it will be considered playable, anything below then 30 FPS doesn’t consider playable.
- 60 FPS is the standard for gamers. 60 FPS is common in high-end gaming PCs and some consoles also manage to get the 60 FPS. If you are a casual gamer then 60 FPS is perfect for you, anything higher than 60 FPS is perfect for professionals.
- 120 FPS is considered as a standard for professional gamers and it is only possible with 144 or 165 Hz refresh rates, which is only available in high-end gaming PCs and gaming laptops. 120 FPS isn’t achievable by consoles and the 120 FPS is more than enough for any gamer including casual and professional gamers. If you want to have the best possible experience, then 120 FPS is good for you.
- 240 FPS is the highest FPS you can get and it is only achievable with advanced and expensive 240 Hz monitors. You will also need very powerful hardware to achieve and maintain this FPS.
These FPS Brackets matter a lot when you game. For example, the human eye can easily distinguish between 30 and 60 FPS brackets but it is very difficult to see the difference between 120 FPS and 240 FPS even if you compare it side by side.
Which FPS Bracket is best for you?
Now you know the different FPS brackets, now let us explain which FPS bracket is best for you. As there are different game genres and each genre has its own demand so, in this section, we have categorized the FPS brackets generally which will help you to pick the best FPS bracket for you.
- 30 FPS is considered best for entry-level gamers and it is also best for single-player games.
- 60 FPS is considered best for multiplayer games and it is the best for casual gamers. 60 FPS is also best for casual tournaments.
- 120 FPS is the best FPS bracket for those people who compete in professional tournaments. If you aren’t a professional gamer then 120 FPS isn’t for you as you will need high-end hardware to achieve 120 FPS.
- 240 FPS is currently the highest possible FPS you can achieve. As we mentioned earlier it is very difficult to spot the difference between 120 and 240 FPS.
How to increase FPS in Games?
If you want to increase the FPS in games then you should invest in the latest Hardware but if you don’t want to spend the extra money and also want to increase the FPS then following our generals tips which can help you with it.
- GPU Manufacturers constantly work on their GPUs to work flawlessly and they also release updates for their old GPUs. So if you are not getting decent FPS from your hardware then you should look for the latest drivers for your GPU. You can check the latest updates by going to your Device Manager and then look for display adapters.
- Another way to gain a better FPS is to optimize your game settings and this will help you a lot. For example, if you have the FHD or HD monitor and if you try to run the game at UHD settings then you will get the low FPS. On the contrary, if you run the game at FHD or HD graphic settings then you will get much better FPS. Generally, you should play the games at your monitor’s native resolution as it will give you much better FPS.
- You can also play with Anti-Aliasing to get the better FPS. Anti-Aliasing is used for smoothing out jagged lines but it cost you the performance which can be a big dent if your computer doesn’t feature the high-end hardware. So if you want the better FPS you should turn it off.
- If you don’t want to invest in new hardware then you can overclock your hardware to get the best possible performance. However, we don’t recommend the Overclocking as it can damage your hardware and also void the warranty. You can check our guides on overclocking on our website.
We hope that you will find our guide useful and we have tried our best to explain the FPS in the simple possible way. 60 FPS is best for entry-level gamers, having 120 FPS is really useful in multiplayer games.
Anything higher than 60 FPS is for pro gamers and it also needs expensive equipment to achieve and maintain that FPS. However, if you have high-end hardware and enough graphics power, 120 FPS is the way to go. If you have tried a high frame rate for a while and are gotten used to it, you would not want to revert to lower frames again.